We use cookies to deliver the best experience possible as described in our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close this box to accept cookies whilst browsing our site.

Courses For Adults, Contractors & Companies

Call 0800 856 4448 or 03330 123 123

Course FinderNew EntrantsDomesticCommercialRenewablesContractor


BackAll Electrical Courses

If you want a career in the electrical industry then you're going to need to access high quality training - delivered by professionals in an intensive, structured and focused way.                                                   Unsure where to start? Use our course advisor to help point you in the right direction.  

Course finder
Pay now

Is Your Home Electrically Safe?

Posted by Christos Panayiotou on 14th November 2012

We can safely say that almost everyone is aware that Electricity Kills.  Unfortunately the victims are often unaware that their electrical installation is dangerous or that they were carrying out dangerous workmanship for which they were unqualified.

The power of Electricity is underestimated.  Whilst we all take for granted the ability to switch on a light, turn on the TV, or boil a kettle all at the flick of a switch, it is easy to understand the frustration when an electrical appliance or fitting suddenly stops working.

The key point to bear in mind as a householder is when your lights trip off, or a fuse blows in an appliance you are using, it means there is a problem with your electrical installation.  This doesn't mean that you are now faced with a huge expense, in fact, if you call a registered electrician to take a look at this point, you will be saving yourself lots of money and more importantly you are protecting the safety of you and your family as well as your main asset – your home.

Out of 38,500 accidental fires in the UK, 20%  of these were electrical fires within the home.  This means that during 2010-11 there were in excess of 8000 electrical fires in peoples homes –  This horrific figure is set to rise every year according to NAPIT who claim that casualties related to electrical fires are on the increase.  So, how can you make sure you avoid next years statistics?

There is a lot you can do yourself as a householder to prevent an electrical fire and it doesn't matter whether you own or rent your home.  Always check cables and appliances for signs of wear and tear.  If you rent your home, has it been pat tested? it is recommended that the electrical equipment in your home is PAT tested on a regular basis.  Pat Testing should only be carried out by a person who has completed a pat testing course.  In addition, look out for burn marks or fizzing sounds from the sockets when in use.  Do your lights flicker when switched on?  These are all signs of poor wiring within your electrical installation.  Overtime, cable can become corroded, worn and even damaged – particularly if attempts have been made to repair an installation without success.

Older houses often contain outdated fuse boxes which contain no safety protection such as RCD's which leave members of the householder at risk from electric shock. So if you are already experiencing concerns with your electrics, you are putting yourself at huge risk of an electrical fire.

If you have any concerns whatsoever about the condition of your home electrics, it is essential that you consult a qualified Part P electrician without delay.  Please do not be tempted to make any repairs yourself particularly to fuse wires or by exceeding the fuse Amp shown on all plugs in order to make an appliance work.

At Trade Skills 4U we understand the importance of electrical safety in the home and the huge problem faced in the UK of the shortage of domestic installers to carry out the work.  Our trainees are trained extensively in identifying electrical fire risks and putting them right as part of their electrical training and it is our aim to reduce the number of electrical accidents in the UK by offering future and present electricians access to the UK's premier electrical training courses.

We also hope to educate the public about the dangers of using unregistered electricians and urges anyone concerned to seek out qualifications and check registration.

Categories: safety