Over the last 12 months, we have published a lot of information regarding electricians’ and trades salary – in November 2020 we’ve finalised our yearly UK Trades Salary Review and for the 6th year running our salary survey showed that electricians earn the highest average salary out of most trades with a 1% increase on the previous year (you can read our UK Trades Salary Review 2020 at this link).
In January 2020, we asked our social media followers the following question “Have you been financially impacted by COVID & the latest UK lockdown?”. We received nearly 120 responses and 80% of the surveyed electricians and electrical contractors have admitted they have been financially impacted by COVID and the lockdown restrictions that have happened in the UK.
Despite the latest lockdown restrictions, electricians (as keyworkers) are allowed to continue to work in people’s homes to carry out essential maintenance and repair work. For tips and advice on how to work safely during the COVID pandemic, please read our “Covid 19 Safe Working Guidelines for Electricians” blog article.
Electricians often charge for their work in one of 3 ways:
- Fixed fee per job
- Hourly rate
- Day rate
Generally, electricians will prefer to price by specific jobs but having a standard hourly rate can be a good benchmark to start.
We asked our social media followers how they price up jobs and the responses were as follows:
- By looking at competitors/colleagues prices (20%)
- Industry websites (10%)
- Price on application (50%)
- Industry Average (20%)
Electricians’ Day Rate
For a job that is likely to take an entire day or more, an average daily rate of between £200-250 is the industry-accepted amount. The first hour will be more expensive and travel expenses, taxes and material will need to be factored in the final price (source MyBuilder).
Electricians’ Hourly Rate
Many websites such as MyBuilder, Checkatrade and Which? all suggest that a standard electrician’s hourly rate is around £40 per hour.
To confirm this, we asked our social media followers about their average hourly rate – out of 85 responses, 67% said that £40 is the average hourly rate whereas 33% said over £40 is their average hourly rate.
Electricians’ emergency hourly rate
Many industry websites agree that the standard electrician’s emergency hourly rate ranges between £80-100 per hour.
Once again, to confirm this, we asked our social media followers and out of 91 responses, 70% of the respondents confirmed that their standard hourly emergency rate is £80. The remaining 30% of respondents confirmed their emergency hourly rate is more than £80 per hour.
Price on the Job (POA)
Whilst using hourly rate is a good benchmark, the majority of electricians will price on the job as many factors can affect the end price including:
- Fuel costs
- Where you live
- Whether the job is an emergency or maintenance
Pricing on the job can be a tricky business for newly registered electricians but fear not! We have summarised below the best websites (apart from our own of course) to get inspiration from when pricing electrical jobs on the go:
- MyBuilder Pricing Guide for Electricians
- Electricians Price list by Tradesmencosts.co.uk
- Electrician hourly rate guide by Checkatrade
- Cost Guide: Electrician by TrustedTraders (Which?)
- Electricians Price List for 2021 by Household Quotes
Moreover, to help you on the go – we’ve summarised the top pricing recommendations for the most common electrical jobs:
Other common electrical jobs and their average costs are also summarised below:
- PAT Testing on average £1 to £2 per electrical appliance tested
- Full domestic rewire range from £2,500 for a 2 bedroom mid terrace house up to £5,000-7,000 for a 4 bedroom detached house
- Smoke alarm installation from £80-130
- Carbon monoxide alarm installation from £80-130
- Electric underfloor heating installation £50-80 per square metre
Do you want to train with us?
If you are looking to train with us, we have a number of courses for beginners and other trades and for experienced electricians. If you are interested in training with us, give our team a call on 0800 8564448 alternatively keep in touch by following us on our social media channels.