If you want a career in the electrical industry then you're going to need to access high quality training - delivered by professionals in an intensive, structured and focused way. Unsure where to start? Use our course advisor to help point you in the right direction.
Can you believe it’s Halloween again? Whilst most of us are getting ready for the trick-or-treaters, getting our Halloween outfits sorted for the party, or getting together to watch a horror movie with our friends, spare a thought for the Sparky who could be working in dark and often dangerous spaces like those spider ridden attics or damp rat infested basements!
The risk of electrocution and fire in our homes is a real danger, where faulty electrics are concerned. Problems are caused when down lights don’t have proper thermal protection, there are exposed wires, wiring isn’t tightly connected or insulated, there’s too much load on daisy chained sockets and lighting installed in fixtures they weren’t designed to be housed in.
To give you an idea of what our fellow sparkies have to deal with on a regular basis, we've put together a sample of some real electrical horrors that are lurking out there.
This one looks like a ticking time bomb! A metered mains supply for the building was ‘hacked’ by bare uninsulated wires - possibly from tenants attempting to bypass the meter. You can also see signs of a previous fire!
Aaaah don’t scream! - This is enough to scare the living daylights out of most of us! But I think this electrocuted ‘Cannibal snake’ bit off more than he could chew. I bet it gave the electrician a bit of a fright!
This gooey mess looks like ghost slime! It’s what can happen if you don’t uncoil an extension lead fully when in use! Imagine if this was near to something that was easily combustible!
SHOCKING! But did you know that most European countries allow sockets in a bathroom within 3 metres of the shower! If I stayed here I would definitely go without a shower rather than risk getting electrocuted. Thank goodness for UK Wiring Regs!
Dangers are everywhere so beware! Loose terminals and missing fuse carriers all add up to trouble. Plus a fuse can blow with a lot of force!
What horrors are lurking under the floorboards? Never put your hands in to have a feel about, otherwise you could get a very nasty electric shock!
Oops! I hope the mains were turned off before he started screwing into this box, otherwise this would have gone off with a big bang.
This is what a loose connection or too much load can result in inside a consumer unit. It looks like there’s been a fire and it’s melted the cables.
Anyone scared or rats or mice? I guess everyone needs a home but I bet this electrician didn’t expect to find a family of mice living in the electric panel!
The birds nest nightmare! This one is from Vietnam with what’s looks like a mix of lighting, telecom and mains cables – although with the cables all being black it’s difficult to tell!
Make sure your plugs are frequently checked to make sure they are properly wired. This is a very common cause of house fires, so please make sure you this doesn’t happen in your home.
Now that we’ve scared the heebie jeebies out of you, remember to always get a qualified electrician to do any electrical work in your home. Don’t try to do electrics yourself or you could end up looking like this guy!
And to finish, here’s a nice calming Youtube video to get you ready for Halloween, make sure you turn the sound up!!
Be safe and if you’re worried get an electrician to carry out an EICR (Electrical Installation Condition Report) to highlight any issues that need to be resolved.
Go on admit it, we’re all scared of the dark. There’s nothing worse than the thought of sitting in complete darkness on fright night. Did you know there could be some electrical horrors lurking in your home ready to scare you unexpectedly? We have found some real Nightmares on Regs Street. Check them out below:
1. Remember taping old wiring is a major fire hazard! Keeping up to date with the latest wiring can ensure your safety
2. Now this is bad! The wires are all over the place- time to tidy up the joint box!
3. This is a bad example of a distribution board with no front- what a nightmare!
4. We all know water and electrics do not mix!
5. Again, tape should never be used
6. The real lottery here is who will get electrocuted first!
7. Suitable IPA rating?
8. We think this is a suitable image for Halloween!
9.We definitely think this sign prevented the fire hazard!
Can you believe it, Halloween is upon us again. Last year we published our Electrical Hall of Horrors and we thought this would make a great annual post. So this Halloween, keep your eyes peeled to see if any of these horrors are lurking in your house. Like all nasty creepy Halloween horrors you are most likely to find these in dark places such as your loft, under stairs cupboard or basement. If you spot any of these in your home scream at the top of your voice and run a mile, or call an electrician to carry out an inspection and rid your home of any of these ghoulish horrors.
1. One of the most common dangers in the home is probably lurking behind your TV. Overloaded daisy chained sockets can be lethal, add to the mix some random paper and it won't be long until you could be in trouble.
2. Do you rent your home? If so you should make sure your landlord has had a recent inspection. This landlord ended up paying a hefty price when he was fined £15,000 earlier this year. He had tried renting out a house whilst still renovating it which meant dangerous unfinished electrics were exposed in the building.
3. Does your basement look like this? We hope not. This homeowner needs a full rewire!
4. If you see any signs of burns or over heating on your consumer unit get it fixed straight away. Recent changes to the wiring regulations mean you will now need to replace it with a metal one, however this is going to be much cheaper than rebuilding your house.
5. Classic signs of a proper bodge job will be poorly taped connections. Who knows what's lurking inside and who carried out the work in the first place.
6. They say it's good luck if a black cat crosses your path, however in this case I would be worried about the cat surviving in this flat.
7. If this is your under stairs cupboard then you will want to look into upgrading to a new consumer unit. Make sure you get an experienced sparky to do the job as this is not so straight forward.
8. This picture is from Trip Advisor. A hotel in Malta is responsible for this bit of shocking workmanship.
9. Exposed wires even in the loft can still be dangerous.
10. If you don't lift your floorboards you have no idea what is lurking underneath. In this case some really bad jointing.
Some of the above really is quite scary, plus it's not made up like ghosts and ghoulies, it's all real and could be making an appearance in your home any day now. If you want to be sure your electrics are not shocking then get an electrician to carry out an EICR (Electrical Installation Condition Report) which should pick up on any issues that need to be resolved asap.