LV Authorised Person Course (Commercial)
Why take the LV Authorised Person Course (Commercial)?
This course is designed for competent electrical staff who need to understand how to work safely in accordance with HSG 85 - Safe Working Practices when working with Low Voltage Systems. You will cover the regulations and safe working practices to ensure compliance with EAW Regulations 1989
This Low Voltage Authorised Person Course has been developed to enable competent electrical staff within an organisation to work safely in accordance with HSG 85 – Safe Working Practices (Electricity at Work) when planning to carry out maintenance and repairs on a low-voltage electrical system. It is an open course that covers all the key principles and procedures to ensure you can do this safely and competently, as well as ensuring compliance with the Electricity at Work Regulations 1989 and other associated legal and guidance documents. Please note we are able to customise this course for companies who already have specific procedures and organisational structures in place.
Why Take This Course?
It is designed specifically for staff who are already working as a Competent Person or Maintenance Electrician on the low-voltage electrical system and are looking to move up to an Authorised Person (supervisory) role. You will learn a set of processes and procedures that encompass all the relevant regulations which can then be applied within your day to day role and made specific to your organisation.
Individuals benefit by gaining:
- An understanding of all elements contained within a standard version of Electrical Safety Guidance for Low Voltage Systems.
- Experience in producing Safety Documents for situations that may arise on any premises involving operations on an electrical system.
- Confidence in their ability to perform practical and procedural duties in accordance to the requirements of the Electricity at Work Regulations 1989 and standardised Electrical Safety Guidance for Low Voltage Systems.
- Formal assessment in competency for Safe Systems of Working in compliance to Electrical Safety Guidance for Low Voltage Systems common to all Organisations.
Employers will benefit from:
- Training provided from an Independent source with their candidate assessed on their suitability for the position of Authorised Person Low Voltage.
- All course material delivered in compliance with current legislation and emphasis on a standardised version of Electrical Safety Guidance for Low Voltage Systems.
This course is designed for existing Competent Persons (LV) or Maintenance Electricians looking to move up to a more senior or supervisory role by becoming an Authorised Person (LV). If you are not working as a Competent Person then you would be advised to complete a CP(LV) course and gain experience of the systems and equipment you’ll be working with before progressing to AP(LV).
This Commercial Authorised Person Low Voltage Course covers the practical and procedural aspects for a candidate to be appointed and work as an Authorised Person Low Voltage. This will allow all ensuing work carried out to be in compliance with the Health & Safety at Work etc Act 1974 with an understanding of: -
- General Safe Working Practices
- Organisational Safety Rules
- Dead Working
- LIVE Working
- Procedures and Documentation
Covering elements from:
- Electricity at Work Regulations 1989
- The Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999
- Electricity Safety, Quality and Continuity Regulations 2002
- Electrical Safety Guidance for Low Voltage Systems common to all Organisations
- This is a natural progression route for an appointed Competent Person Low Voltage.
How is this course delivered?
All theory, it will be delivered in a classroom at either a Trade Skills 4U location or at the Organisation’s site. Safety Documentation exercises will be demonstrated by a qualified lecturer utilising PowerPoint presentation to set the scene for each exercise and, where available, operate the actual equipment. The candidates are provided with sufficient practice and individual instruction during each set scenario to meet the assessment requirements.
Students will complete the following assessments on the last day of the course:
- 1 hour written exam
- Written documentation exam / paper (Roughly 2 hours but no fixed time limit)
On passing these assessments we will provide students with a formal certificate of achievement from Trade Skills 4U.
Frequently asked questions
What can I do once I have completed this course?
The Authorised Person Low Voltage Course is one element that will give your appointed Authorising Engineer (LV) a better understanding of your capabilities when they are deciding on your official appointment to AP(LV) status. The course itself familiarises you with common working practices and the documentation involved when setting up a safe system of work on complex electrical systems.
What other courses can I do after completing this course?
With environmental technology becoming increasingly more important, you may wish to consider Electric Vehicle Charging courses and, perhaps, combine this with Electrical Systems Design.
As well as the having multiple large sites, we also have a number of sites dedicated to delivering the 18th edition wiring regulations & PAT Testing courses.View all locations
Phoenix House has raised the bar for electrical training centres in the UK. The centre is just East of Leeds situated just off of the M1 / A1. This makes it easily accessible from Leeds, Sheffield, Hull, York, Harrogate and all over Yorkshire.Phoenix House, Hawthorn Park, Coal Road, Leeds, West Yorks, LS14 1PQ View details
Our Northern training facility is situated just off Junction 10 of the M62 at Birchwood Park and is very accessible from towns such as Warrington, Manchester, Liverpool and Chester.Unit B, The Beacons, Warrington Road, Birchwood, WA3 6WY View details
Our brand new centre opened in July 2019 offering a full range of electrical courses for those based in Birmingham, Coventry, Leicester, Northampton and all over the midlands region. The new centre is based in Westwood Business Park right next...Rowan House, Westwood Way, Coventry, West Mids, CV4 8HS View details
Our Mitre Court and Royce Road Facilities are just 2 minutes south of Gatwick Airport and are easily accessible by car, bus and train. They are comfortable, light and airey environments in which students can learn a wide range of practical and theory based skills.Mitre Court, Fleming Way, Crawley, West Sussex, RH10 9JY View details