The most spooky time of the year is almost upon us, so before you snuggle up to watch your favourite horror movie, or get ready for the trick-or-treaters this Halloween, have a thought for all the electricians out there that have to work in creepy dark and often dangerous spaces.

We’ve put together some horrifying and dangerous electrical FAILS that could be lurking in your home, which we’re sure will give you goose bumps! So, if you’re scared of the dark and of things that go bump in the night, read on if you dare!!

SCARY! This burnt out unit was likely to have been caused by a loose connection – a real fire hazard!

Beware what lies beneath! What a strange method of connection and probably not done by an electrician. An unsuspecting worker could get a very nasty electric shock!

SPOOKY! It looks like an alien but it’s definitely electrical.

Oh dear – you just don’t use the CPC as a live conductor. Make sure you leave it to the professionals.

Can you imagine the horror when this electrician ventured into the loft to find this critter’s nest! Not sure I’d want to find out what built it!

What would you do if you came across this on a job? It’s enough to scare the living daylights out of most of us and I bet it gave the electrician quite a fright!

Mmm delicious PVC insulation! We all know that rodents just love it – I think they might of regretted trying to snack on these cables though!

Maybe the rats from the image above would have been better moving into this nest – what a mess!

SHOCKING! You’d have to be really desperate if you needed to use this toilet! Touch any of these cables and life could really go down the pan!

I bet whoever did this had fun getting the lid on – there really shouldn’t be this many cables in one small junction box – it might be colourful but not sure how safe it is.

This burnt out adaptor is another fire hazard and was probably caused by a loose connection or overloading.

Unfortunately there are people out there attempting electrical work who don’t know what they are doing with disastrous consequences, which is really bad news for the industry. But we would like to say a big thank you to all those that do a fantastic job of putting these horrors right and keeping our homes and businesses safe.

It’s shocking to think that people work and live in these environments, and shows the need for regular period inspection and testing.

Now that we’ve scared the living daylights out of you, if you want to ensure your electrics are safe then always get a qualified electrician to do any electrical work for you. It’s worth getting an electrician to carry out a period inspection and provide an EICR (Electrical Installation Condition Report) to highlight any issues that may need to be resolved.