In today’s digital age, it’s crucial for electricians to leverage the power of social media to expand their reach, engage with customers, and attract new clients. It’s a natural fit for an electrician’s business, especially smaller businesses, where social media can be a highly effective marketing tool when used strategically. In this article, the UK’s best electrician training team at Trade Skills 4 U will look at how electricians can use social media effectively to grow their business, covering various key aspects and insights, including social media post ideas for electricians.
Social media marketing statistics every electrician should know
In 2023, around 4.9 billion people are using social media – and this is expected to hit 5.85 billion by 2027! Here are some key statistics that show why it’s a great option for marketing your electrician business, whether you’re a sole trader or looking to grow.
- Facebook is still the most popular platform at 2.9 million monthly active users – but YouTube is growing very fast with 2.5 million monthly active users.
- Globally, the average person spends 145 minutes per day on social media. In the UK, the average is 1.56 hours a month.
- 90% of people on social media follow at least one brand and 90% of people buy from brands they follow on social media
- In 2022, the UK had 15.1 million people buying off social media
- 93.79% of businesses use social media to connect with their customers, including 77% of small businesses
Choose the Right Channels
The first step in using social media effectively as an electrician is to select the right platforms that align with your business goals and target audience. Here are some platform options and their strengths:
- Instagram & TikTok: These platforms are ideal for those who enjoy creating visually appealing content. With features like Reels, Stories, and various visual filters, you can showcase your work and engage with a broad audience.
- YouTube: Owned by Google, YouTube is the second most powerful social media channel AND the second-biggest search engine in the world. 92% of people watch YouTube videos to get information or to learn something, making it a great option for electrician marketing.
- Facebook: Facebook is a great platform for sharing updates, customer reviews, and recommendations. It’s becoming a social search engine where people seek recommendations from friends and followers. Encourage your Facebook followers to be brand advocates.
- Twitter: If you prefer conversations and using hashtags, Twitter can be a valuable auxiliary platform. It’s less image-heavy but can serve as a space for discussions and quick updates.
- LinkedIn: For electricians working with the public sector or aiming to secure bigger commercial contracts, LinkedIn is essential. It allows you to connect with professionals, businesses, and potential commercial clients.
Selecting the right channels will help you focus your efforts and resources where they are most likely to yield results.
Use video marketing
Video marketing is a fantastic option for marketing your electrician business online – because customers love them. Videos visually convey electrical services, simplifying complex concepts for potential customers, they foster a personal connection, building trust and loyalty, and this content boosts SEO, enhancing your business’s online visibility.
They are also very versatile, as you can post videos on YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, and other social media platforms. Some great examples of video marketing content include videos that educate your audience about electrical safety, common issues, and DIY solutions, where you can offer valuable tips and insights to establish yourself as an expert in your field. You can also showcase before-and-after videos of your projects, have clients video their experience of working with you, introduce yourself and your team members, and answer frequently asked questions.
Optimise Your Social Media Content
Once you’ve chosen your social media platforms, it’s essential to tailor your content to each one. Different platforms have different formats and requirements:
- Twitter has character limits, so it’s best for sharing links and retweeting testimonials.
- LinkedIn is suitable for long-form content and industry news.
- Facebook and Instagram are more photo-rich, and you can use relevant hashtags to enhance visibility.
- YouTube is ideal for video marketing, including how-to videos, solving issues, safety tips, product demos, and more.
Ensure your content is adapted to the platform’s strengths and limitations to maximise engagement.
Interact with Customers
One of the primary advantages of using social media is the ability to interact with both potential and existing customers. Building rapport and trust with your audience is vital. Respond to questions and engage with your followers promptly.
Remember that potential customers often seek recommendations from friends and followers on social media, so a strong online presence and positive reviews can greatly enhance your credibility. In fact, 88% of people trust online reviews from other consumers as much as they trust recommendations from friends and family!
It’s crucial to maintain a professional and positive online presence as everything you post can be shared and retweeted, potentially reaching a wider audience.
Set Up Your Google My Business Account
Having a Google My Business listing is really helpful for electricians because it makes it easier for people to find your services – especially in terms of bringing in local business. You can start by putting your business on Google Maps. If you include your main keyword in your business name, it will improve your rankings in search engine results. Having a verified Google listing also gives you more control over what people see when they click on your listing, which makes your business more legitimate and trustworthy.
To make the most of your Google business listing, it’s important to provide all the information Google asks for, like your phone number, address, website, and more. You should also pick the right categories for your business, like “Electrician.” Plus, you can use the messaging and booking feature to let people contact you directly through Google. Don’t forget to answer common questions in the questions and answers section and to respond to all reviews. This way, your electrician services will show up more often and get noticed by potential customers.
Humanise Your Accounts
Whether you’re a solo electrician or run a business, it’s important to avoid appearing as a faceless entity. People relate better to real individuals, real stories, and human interest. Take advantage of the transparency that social media offers to show your personality and authenticity, to show off who you are and what you do.
Be candid, engage with your customers as if they were friends, and share personal experiences. For instance, if you’re acquiring new skills, share your learning journey.
Focus on Providing Helpful Content
Rather than a hard sell, concentrate on delivering valuable content that genuinely assists people. Answer common queries, address prevalent issues, and educate your audience on electrical safety and hazards.
By providing solutions and building authority in your field, you can cultivate customer loyalty and trust.
Consistency is key in social media. If you want to build a following and expand your audience, you must post regularly. Aim to post at least once a day, if possible, as this keeps your content visible and engages your audience. You can repurpose content for different platforms to maintain a steady flow of posts.
Consider using social media management tools like Hootsuite to schedule posts in advance. It enables you to maintain a regular posting schedule, even when you’re busy with other aspects of your business.
Hashtags are no longer exclusive to Twitter. Research and incorporate relevant hashtags in your social media posts. This expands your content’s reach beyond your immediate followers. You can analyse the hashtags your competitors and other electrical firms use or use online tools like Display Purposes to find suitable hashtags related to your content.
Use the right social media marketing tools
Social media tools can significantly simplify marketing for electricians, making it a lot easier to produce and post content that looks great while saving you time.
Platforms like Hootsuite, Buffer, and Sprout Social streamline content scheduling, allowing electricians to maintain a consistent online presence effortlessly. These tools also offer analytics, helping professionals track their campaigns’ effectiveness and adjust strategies accordingly.
Canva simplifies graphic design, aiding in the creation of eye-catching visuals for posts and ads. Moreover, customer relationship management (CRM) software like HubSpot can manage client interactions, ensuring a personalised and efficient experience. With these tools, electricians can maximise their online reach, engage with their audience, and ultimately grow their businesses more effectively.
As you can see, social media can be a powerful tool for electricians to attract new leads, engage with their audience, and enhance their brand’s visibility. By choosing the right channels, optimising content, interacting with customers, humanising your accounts, offering helpful content, posting regularly, and using hashtags, you can leverage the full potential of social media to grow your electrician business. Embrace these strategies, and watch your business electrify the social media landscape!
If you’re considering expanding your skills within the industry, why not take a look at the range of courses offered by Trade Skills 4 U?
We offer an extensive array of electrician courses and training programs that encompass the entire spectrum of electrical work, covering both fundamental qualifications and specialised electrical skills.
Contact our team today to learn more about the courses we offer.