Most people serving in the armed forces will be aware that The Ministry of Defence offer an Enhanced Learning Credit scheme to promote lifelong learning amongst members. These are very generous allowances to be used on resettlement courses for those who’ve been a member of the armed forces who’s served for four years or more, you can claim Enhanced Learning Credits from the services for up to ten years after leaving. You can only claim once a year and you can save them up for up to three years, which you don’t need to run consecutively. The credits can be used to pay for courses with registered training providers such as Trade Skills 4U but only apply to level 3 courses or above.
Are you eligible for the Enhanced Learning Credits?
Have you accumulated 4 years of service since 1 April 2000? (Entitlement: Lower Tier)
Have you accumulated 8 years of service since 1 April 2000? (Entitlement: Higher Tier)
If you were Wounded, Injured or Sick (WIS) or medical discharged before reaching the four year eligible service then you may still be eligible to claim ELCs.
Don’t worry if you do not qualify for the Enhanced Learning Credit scheme, there are other organisations for example the Royal British Legion which can sometimes help fund retraining.
You can claim up to £1,000 (Lower Tier) or £2,000 (Higher Tier) per financial year (31st March – 1st April) towards qualifying courses
Enhanced learning credits can be used for up to 80% of a course; you have to cover the remaining 20% yourself (you can use your Resettlement Grant for this.)
You can claim 3 times (as long as they are in separate financial years.) You can use enhanced learning credits for up to 10 years from your last day of service
Enhanced learning credits can be used towards the costs of tuition fees including VAT
ELCs cannot be used towards travel, subsistence, accommodation, meals, equipment or course materials where additional fees apply.
Before deciding on learning, people should consider:
Is the course relevant to your personal development?
Are you able to complete the course?
Will this disrupt your current service?
Can you travel to the centre, will you require accommodation?
Read JSP 898, Part 4, Chapter 3
Register for the scheme in accordance with published guidelines
Check that the course you wish to enrol on is allowable under the rules
Get the necessary approval to enrol
Talk with your line manager and education/learning staff.
Electrician Courses Part of ELC Scheme
If you’re interested in electrics and see this as a future career path, then why not use your ELC credits for electrical training courses with UKs number one training provider? You can find a full list of eligible courses here:
Here at Trade Skills 4U, the most common resettlement course taken up by ex-service men is Bronze Domestic Installer course. This course can be completed in 18 days, you’ll gain four formal City & Guilds qualifications; Electrical Installation working within a domestic dwelling, Part P Building Regulations, Inspection and Testing and the 17th Edition Wiring Regulations.
Or if you are interested in renewable energy you could take our Green – Solar PV Installer Course which will enable you to work on a real life roof to gain experience working from height. Once you’ve completed this course you will be fully qualified in solar panel installation and if you’re brand new to the industry you can take this course to become a solar panel installer, which is a growing market!
Start learning now, to make the most of your life!!
Complete a claim form: (http://www.enhancedlearningcredits.com/Claiming/keydownloads/1%29%20ELC%20Claim%20Form.doc)
If you had a break in service you need to provide a Interrupted Service Supplementary Form
Proof of last day of service
Information about the course and proof that it is NQF or QCF and Level 3 or higher qualification
Photographic ID (passport or driving license)
Proof of home address
A daytime telephone number.
If you are no longer serving, please send your claims to the relevant contact below:
FLEET FOST TA EL3R RESET SO3C, Floor 3, Leach Building, Whale Island, Portsmouth PO2 8BY
Tel: 02392 625954
ELC Manager, DETS (A), Ramilles Building, Marlborough Lines, Andover, Hampshire SP11 8HJ
Tel: 07770 418788
Royal Air Force
Learning Credits Administrator, Room 227, Trenchard Hall, RAF Cranwell, Sleaford, Lincolnshire, NG34 8HB
Tel: 01400 268182
If you are still serving, please consult the staff in your local RN Education Centre, Army Education Centre, or RAF Learning Centre.