Course Choice: Domestic Installer Platinum Package
Goal: To change career.
1. Describe your previous career and experience before you made the decision to retrain?
Whilst I have a degree in Chemical Engineering I decided to move into payment cards. I previously worked for American Express where I was responsible for the merchant side of the payment card business across a number of countries including Turkey, Greece and sub-Saharan Africa. I worked with many banks in a business development role which necessitated a lot of long haul business travel. The travel coupled with a having a little daughter meant I wanted to cut out the travel and have more flexibility in my job.
2. What made you take the new direction and begin training as a domestic installer?
I've always enjoyed the practical side of things and as my dad was an Electrical Engineer I've learned a lot over the years.
3. What are your plans for business now you are fully qualified?
I believe it's important to differentiate from the competition and whilst my company provides a full range of services I specialise in lighting design and installation and electric central heating.
4. What is the best experience you have had so far in your new career?
Winning a major contract to design lighting schemes for a successful chain of estate agents in London.
5. Any advice for anyone thinking of training as an electrician/domestic installer?
It's important to stand out from the crowd. This means not just being a good electrician but developing your brand and having a range of sales channels coupled with an online and real world marketing plan.
6. Any regrets?
Not making the change sooner.
Want to hear more from Kevin Hird and our other customers? We have a range of video reviews avaliable to watch online as well as plenty of tutorials and centre walkthroughs. Take your tour today!