We use cookies to deliver the best experience possible as described in our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close this box to accept cookies whilst browsing our site.

Courses For Adults, Contractors & Companies

Call 0800 856 4448 or 03330 123 123

Course FinderNew EntrantsDomesticCommercialRenewablesContractor


BackAll Electrical Courses

If you want a career in the electrical industry then you're going to need to access high quality training - delivered by professionals in an intensive, structured and focused way.                                                   Unsure where to start? Use our course advisor to help point you in the right direction.  

Course finder
Pay now

Part P FAQ's

We have compiled our PDF Part P Guide for beginners which you can download by clicking the image below

Free Part P Guide for Beginners

We get asked numerous questions every day about Part P. Many people who are new to the industry are confused as to what exactly Part P is and why it is important. As such we have compiled a handy PDF guide that you can download, print and read at your leisure. The guide answers some specific questions such as:

What exactly is Part P?

Which types of work require a Part P Certificate?

What is a special Location?

What are minor works?

What are Electrical Installation Certificates?

Why is this important for you?

How can you certify your work?

What do you need to do to join a Part P scheme?

The guide is intended to give you an overview of Part P and help you understand the impact it has on you as a new entrant into the industry.

The pdf can be downloaded by clicking the image above or this link below:

Download our Free PDF Part P Guide for Beginners Here

What is Part P?

Part P is simply a section of the building regulations that relates to electrical safety in the home. As such it is purely based on Domestic Electrical work and is not relevant to commercial electrical work. All electrical

work in the home must comply with Part P (As well as a range of other building regulations). Part P also states that certain types of work must be notified to building control. Building control will then issue the home owner with a Part P certificate for the work.

What is a Part P Scheme?

A Part P scheme is designed to make issuing Part P certificates simpler and cheaper for experienced and qualified electricians and domestic installers. The scheme provider vet installers based on their qualifications and experience. This allows them to issue certificates on behalf of installers saving them much time and money.

Scheme providers include NICEIC, ELECSA, NAPIT, BSI and the ECA.

What do I need to join a scheme?

Generally speaking if you are new to the industry and want to register on a domestic installer scheme you need this course:

Bronze Domestic Installer Course

This will vary depending on the scheme provider. We would always advise checking with a scheme provider as to there exact entry requirements, however these can sometimes be slightly vague or open to interpretation. In terms of qualifications we know that our Bronze Domestic Installer Package contains all of the qualifications required to join a scheme such as the NICEIC or ELECSA who represent the majority of the domestic installers. Some providers will ask for hands on experience or may even ask you to sit an extra exam before proceeding with your application.

We will always advise you of the ideal courses in order to register on a scheme.

I know a lot about electrics already, can I do installations myself without attending electrical training courses?

Probably not, it's very doubtful if you know enough to be a competent person without any formal electrical training. Plus it is now a criminal offence punishable by a £5000 fine if a non-competent person installs electrics in a home that doesn’t comply to Part P regs.

Your installations must conform to the new Part P Building Regulations. Our electrical courses are probably the fastest way to make sure that your work will be of a standard that always conforms to Part P regulations.

I need to do electrical installations, what are my options to comply with Part P regulations?

You have 3 options:

Self certification - registering as a competent person under the DISQ Domestic Installer's Qualification Scheme.

Notification - Notifying Building Control in advance of work to be undertaken so they can inspect the work, which must comply with BS 7671( 17th Edition) and Part P regulations.

Third Party Certification - From the 6th April 2013 you will be able to ask registered third party electrician to certify your work

Why should I get Part P registered?

Essentially, to save time and money. Notifying building control every time you carry out a notifiable job can be expensive (up to £150 each time). When you register you pay an annual fee around £500 per year and then you will not have to notify every job that you do. Once you have carried out 4 jobs you will be saving money plus many scheme providers save you much time by making notifying a job simple and easy.

Do I have to register on a Part P Scheme?

No. Some people opt to work on smaller jobs initially. Once the amount of work they are doing increases it is at this point they may consider joining a scheme. You can notify your jobs directly to building control. You will need your certificates from your training to prove your competence and will need to notify building control only for certain job types. For more info on this see our Part P Guide for Beginners.

What electrical experience do I need?

You need to be able to install electrical fittings and equipment proficiently and safely, for this reason we run a Domestic Installation Workshop TS4U-4141-01 course that runs for over a period of 5 Days.

We also run the City & Guilds 2392, Inspection and Testing Course, which has proved very useful for those who perhaps have little experience in these areas and that often includes experienced electrical contractors.

To encourage you to do the correct and expected range of courses and qualifications and not the barest minimum, we have put together the 4 Week Bronze Course.

We have trained literally thousands of people through this superb bundle of courses and we know it’s the best route to success.

Part P FAQ Summary

If you plan to do any sort of domestic electrical installations you need to receive formal training.

If you want to be a competent person and/or Part P registered, then you will need to have formal training to become a competent person.

Trade Skills 4U provide you with that formal training, quickly, at reasonable competitive cost and we think we do it better than anyone else.

Our customers constantly tell us so!